Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Michael Jackson 08/29/58 - 06/25/09

"Was Michael Jackson a friend of yours daddy?"

That's what my (then) 3 year old son said to me when I picked him up at daycare on June 25, 2009. I'd received a text about 30 minutes prior from a co-worker that read "Dude, Michael Jackson is dead". This particular co-worked spent a good amount of time on gossip websites so my immediate thought was "Nah... he read some BS on the internet". So I continued driving, listening to a mix CD in my car and finally arrived at my son's day care. When I turned the engine off, I opened my car door and stopped for a second. Again the thought of "Nah...." crossed my mind. Then I put the key back in the ignition and switched my car stereo to FM. I quickly flipped to one of the "pop" stations and heard the DJ say "...and that's all the information we have right now" then a far more familiar voice sang to me; "Another day is gone, I'm still all alone..." I turned the car off and literally went into shock.

I got out of the car and began to tear up. When I walked into the day care, people could see that I was shaken. They asked "What's wrong?" and my simple reply was "Michael Jackson died today". I could tell that this was news to those who asked because they all stopped what they were doing as well. Some became visibly shaken in the same way that I head. When I got to my son, he asked why I was so upset and knowing he wouldn't understand, I just said "Oh, daddy just got some very sad news, I'll be ok". When we got in the car, I couldn't help but leave the FM station on. I knew, if nothing else that there would be a bunch of his music playing.

When we made our way home, I turned on MTV to find that (as if it were 1983) they were playing Michael Jackson videos non stop. A very good friend of mine began to text me while watching the same broadcast I was across the state, consoling me (each other really) and talking about how shocking the news was, etc. My son sat on the couch next to me, enjoying the music and occasionally rubbing my back and smiling at me when I would get overcome.

Eventually, after hours of silence between us, my son said "Was Michael Jackson a friend of yours daddy?" When he first said it, I had about 2 seconds of shock; those of you who are parents know that "Kids Say The Darndest Things" moment. But I took a few more minutes, thought about it and replied "Yeah, Zakk. He certainly was"

Why did I say that? Why did he know to ask it?

I do not by any means claim to have been "friends" in the traditional sense with Michael Jackson. But what is a friend? Is a friend someone who brings something to your life? Is a friend someone who's there for you when you need it? Someone who lifts you up higher when you're doing great and someone who reaches down to help you up when you're at your lowest low? Seems like a pretty good definition to me of "friend" and I'll tell you what, Michael Jackson has been there for me TEN FOLD in both instances.

Does that mean I consider all musicians or all of my favorite bands "friends"? No, not by any means. It means that those rare tunes and/or artists, those who put it all out there, those who went in whatever direction their heart told them to and somehow, someway, I felt exactly what they were doing or meant to say... those are my friends. I count a song that knows how to bring me up and keep me there, or bring me down and keep me there as a friend. And Michael Jackson had so many of those to share with us and he did all the way to the end.

His passing was a world wide event in the same way that his record releases, tours and videos had been so many times in the past. On June 25, 2009 I had a friend on the other side of the planet stop in her tracks and stick to a TV to see the coverage. I had a friend (and contributor to this blog) who is as metal as metal gets, find a new appreciation for Michael and his music. I had a friend mine across the state who finds humor in EVERYTHING stop what he was doing to console me as much as possible and share in at least 25 years of Michael Jackson memories. I found my room mate and many of her friends gather at our house for a make shift vigil to Michael and his music. And I had my 3 year old son silent, sitting in support, appreciating the music with me in support.

Michael Jackson was something special and that is a vast understatement. This planet will never again see someone with such a wild imagination and so incredibly talented as a performer. As we approach two years without him, sometimes I get angry that he is gone, sometimes I am thankful he gave us everything he did. I sometimes find solace in watching This Is It, the documentary pieced together after his death about the incredible show he was planning. But at all times, I miss him.

To Michael Joseph Jackson, wherever you are, I say THANK YOU. I, along with so many others world wide, miss you so much. But you continually shared your will, determination and raw talent with us. It's so hard to deal with you being gone, but I truly believe that a world without you would've been so much less. They say "It's lonely at the top" and I hope that for all he had to endure, that Michael Jackson at least passed with the assurance that he had "friends" through the magic that he shared.

Michael Joseph Jackson
August 29, 1958 - June 25, 2009
I will miss you always
Your friend,
Russ

No comments:

Post a Comment