Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Grammys

It's taken me 2 whole days the put together some thoughts on this years Grammy Awards, that's a problem.

Out of the gate I only had negative thoughts on the show. And by "the show" I mean exactly that. It was more of a showcase than it's been in recent memory. I found myself sitting through musical "performances" one after the next, wondering when they would get around to actually handing out another Grammy award.

As far as actual awards go, I never put much stock into them. After the much talked about Great Metallica Botch of 1988, I honestly haven't had too big of an opinion on who wins against who deserves to win. I am wrong or was the show just too packed with forgettable performances? I enjoyed GaGa even in the face of Born This Way being a much talked about re-work of Madonna's classic Express Yourself. I also enjoyed Cee-Lo's odd ball performance of Fuck You in spite of Gwyneth Paltrow being involved for no reason whatsoever. But the rest was beyond forgettable.

Lip-synching or not, I'd like to see any effort put forth by the performers. The tribute to the Queen of Soul lacked any sort of heart or soul for that matter. Florence Welch stood alone as the one person who seemed to be honoring someone else. She sang her ass off but in tribute to an obvious influence, not in a "LOOK AT MY VOCAL RANGE!" type way.

In short, the Grammy Awards were an utter disappointment. Let's get back to the days where the performers were a true potpourri of what's out there musically. That would at least raise the bar from a performance standpoint even if there's no recovering the credibility of the awards themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment