Thursday, January 13, 2011

5 Most overrated acts

OK... This is gonna take some explaining

Please remember that "Overrated" does not necessarily mean "Bad" it just means that I think they get more praise then they deserve. Feel free to argue and tell me I'm an ass and I'm wrong, it's my opinion and I'm right (LOL)

5. Elvis
OK.... Here we go
Elvis was a great performer and had an amazing voice, however he did not invent rock and roll, he just made it acceptable for white audiences. He didn't write his own songs (He was given credit on 9 songs, but he didn't actually write them) and he was the first true marketed pop star. Influential in some ways, but given too much credit for his musical impact in my opinion.

4. AC/DC
This is a band who I have listened to over the years and was also the first hard rock record I owned (Back In Black). I have liked them at times, but lets face it.... It's the same song over and over again. If their greatest hits is playing in the background would you know exactly what song was which?

3. The Black Eyed Peas
I will admit to never really listening to these guys and only hearing the singles, but much like AC/DC, all their songs sound the same. I keep hearing how great they are and I just don't hear it. These guys are being touted as a huge act for the super bowl and I don't get it, how are they considered a step up from Prince, Springsteen, McCartney or any other act from the last 6 or 7 years?

2. The Eagles
Once again... A band with some good songs, but few great ones. I understand that they really pushed the whole country rock thing, but their music was very dry and over serious. A lot of people consider them a top 10 favorite band and I just find them boring. The other issue is that they thought they were so big that they could be the first to charge upwards of $300 for a ticket. $300!! FOR THE EAGLES?!?! Maybe a Beatles reunion, but never the Eagles

1. The Doors
Never has a bands myth and popularity grown so much bigger then when they were actually a band. The Doors only had one hit (Light My Fire) while they were an actual band, but because of movies and marketing they became thought of as one of the bigger bands of the 60s, even though they weren't. They did break ground in how the public reacts to dead rock stars though, so that's something I guess.

So that's mine. I plan on posting an underrated list soon (why always be negative, right? LOL)

OK... Go ahead and tell me how wrong I am now

5 comments:

  1. I understand your point, but I bet I could tell the difference between AC/DC tracks ;) There are some that are very similar though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed on all counts, and the black eyed beas just confuse me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed on everything except the obvious one; Elvis. I by no means think he "invented rock & roll" but to say he wasn't influential is flat out ridiculous. You know where John Lennon got his inspiration to be a musician? Elvis. And the same goes for 1000s of acts since then. If that ain't influential, I don't know what is.

    The dude did everything that's been done in rock and he did it decades before anyone else did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if Elvis' acting ever influenced anyone? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's actually funny about that is that he could've. If he were allowed to do ANY of the roles that he wanted to his "acting career" might've been a different story.

    ReplyDelete