Saturday, January 15, 2011

Why does music seem to outlast all other media?

I was watching the news the other night and they were talking about some proposed Pac-Man TV show to commemorate the 30 year anniversary and I thought "It's only been 30 years? Feels like much more". On the other hand when I heard Christina Aguilera turned 30 I was in shock, seemed like she would be younger. And it got me think on how movies, TV and even video games feel so dated so quick but if I hear The Beatles on the radio it still somehow feels fresh?

Now I know black and white movies make them feel old, but so does the subject matter and the way people act, usually more conservatively, so even color movies look old. Some movies from the 90s already have an ancient feel. TV goes through the same issues. And video games go through graphic changes (Even though Pac-Man is pretty simple no matter what century it is seen).

But music never seems to truly get this way. Sure there are things like the other day when VH1 aired day 1 of the US festival were Men At Work unleashed a sax solo that sounded dated, but if you listen to a lot of 60s music it still sounds newish. Is it because most music is timeless or is it because nobody has come up with fresher ideas in 50+ years?

I tend to believe a little in both. I just read today that The Beatles have already sold 5 million songs and 1 million albums on Itunes. They have been on the site for barely 3 months and they have done what no modern artist has done. Does this mean that their music is timeless or no act has done better? You could say it was all the hype of them coming to Itunes, but these songs have been around forever, most of us that want them have them so why buy them again?

These are just some random thoughts I had over the last couple of days. I'd be interested to see what the rest of you think.

6 comments:

  1. I've wondered about this often. Like for example, "Learning To Fly" is TWENTY FOUR YEARS OLD this year. Sounds as fresh today as it did the first time I heard it in 1987. Go check YouTube for any movie, tv show, video game or (God help you) commerical from that year.... not even close to fresh.

    I think the actual production of a song helps in the matter too. Again to use Pink Floyd (or as you did, The Beatles) as an example, the production on those songs alone makes them stand the test of time.

    And every era does have stuff that dates itself instantly. You can throw on "Happy Together" by the Turtles and you're instantly in the 60s. "Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gee's and you're instantly in the 70s. "She Blinded Me With Science" by Thomas Dolby and you're instantly in the 80s, etc etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course some songs don't stand the test of time and some movies do, however I would bet I could find 1,000 songs that do before I find 50 movies. It does explain why oldies stations are so lucrative. I used to think it was because people couldn't let go, but now I realize there was no need for them to let go

    ReplyDelete
  3. SImple. It feeds into the personal identity and sense of self and if there is one thing most are slaves to it is their identity

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually wonder, if some of the classics, that we love so much, were released today, would they hold their own? I love the Beatles, but I wonder if I would even give them the time of day, if they were starting in today's industry.

    Think beyond the Beatles even. When I'm in the mood, I really enjoy some of the old Black Sabbath, but I'm really not sure I would enjoy them, if that sound were to hit today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Beatles later stuff still holds up I think, everything after Help. Sabbath would hold up better with the better production it would get today. Their early stuff was muddy sounding.

    The thing about that is these songs were released along side a ton of other acts that had big hits that are forgotten, so why do we remember the Beatles and not say, Hermans Hermits?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best way for me to tell if a song holds up is to listen to someone cover it. If the change the arrangement or any art of the song (For better or worse) then it is probably dated some, however if it is left intact for the most part then it isn't. I just listened to Ozzy do "In my life" by the Beatles and it was almost exact.

    ReplyDelete