Friday, September 17, 2010

About Me

Wow...  this experiment should be a fun one.  I have never blogged before, so I plan on sharing all my opinions, and I hope you enjoy reading about them, as much as I do writing them.

 I remember my dad having his headphones on listening to what are now "classics": Fleetwood Mac Rumours, Eagles Hotel California and the first 3 Foreigner records.  He would put the headphones and was hooked.  Shortly after that I was listening to these albums as much as he was.  By the time I was 9 my parents were divorced, and my dad did just about anything to connect with me, and music was one of those things.  He took me to see Kiss on the Dynasty Tour when I was 9, Foreigner on the Head Games Tour, and Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band on the Against the Wind Tour.  All within a year of each other. 

My friends and I would gather and have "air guitar" bands.  Music blaring, lip synching, and tennis rackets for guitars.  The girls loved it, and even though it was kids just messing around, something about the music stayed with me. No idea where those friends are now, but those moments of "imagining" stayed with me.  Unfortunately I possess no musical talent to play, and the only ears my voice sounds good to is my own. 

I really believe that music is the soundtrack of our lives...  good times and bad, there is always a song.  I followed my love of music into my occupation.  I used to hang out in this record store during lunch my sophmore of HS, eventually working there.  A mom and pop operation run my 2 drug addicts who had money to open the store.  Back then Ticketmaster was a start-up ticket company competing with the big ones such as Select-A-Seat.  We had the head shop in the back, burned incense, played album sides, hung poster and flats to make displays on the wall, and most importantly talked to people who loved music about music.

I first met Russ last fall (about a year ago).  Within 5 minutes of mentioning music I hear Black Crowes come of his mouth, and the amount of times he'd seen them was impressive.  I said to my HOLY SHIT this guy is the only guy who can talk about music as much as I can.  Thank you Russ for this opportunity.

So, here I am blogging about it 30 years later.  I am very excited about this opportunity.  I will be witnessing the Roger Waters Tour on Tuesday, and you'll read about it here.  Thanks to everybody in advance for reading our opinions. 

-Mike Downing

No comments:

Post a Comment