Sunday, September 26, 2010

What will your favorite artist be remembered for?

Last week Eddie Fisher died, and as i am reading different things about him I almost forgot he was a singer. What I remember was that he was married to Elizabeth Taylor and the he was Carrie Fishers dad... I can't name one of his songs. It got me thinking about today's big name singers and musicians and what we will remember them for when they pass.

Take a guy like John Mayer, I know one of his songs but mostly I know about him trying to be funny on TMZ and all his affairs.

What about Oasis here in the states? Sure they had hits, but much like the Kinks they will be remembered for their fighting with each other.

Then I think of artists like Axl Rose... He was in the biggest band in the world and people are slowly forgetting the music and remembering the antics. Same with the Sex Pistols, one great punk record but they are known for Sid's antics and he wasn't even on that record or was even plugged in when they played.

So rest in peace Mr. Fisher...

And to the others? Watch yourself or all the hard work and all your creativity will be forgotten for sensationalism and you will be a joke

-G

3 comments:

  1. On the same point, those antics also help in getting exposure. Look at Motley Crue, they'll be known for their antics and their music. Their crazy party habits, also helped create a bad-boy image that helped draw in fans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this and I think about Elvis, Michael Jackson, Mama Cass and Kurt Cobain. I know that's a strange combo, but it's what actually happened.

    Take the average person and they're remember that Elvis got fat and died on the toilet, Michael Jackson molested boys, Mama Cass choked on a ham sandwich in bed and Kurt Cobain was a heroin addict who killed himself.

    But that's just the average person's take on that sort of thing. To people who truly like music and more importantly, the music of these artists, I would guess that 20 years down the road when I say the name of your current favorite band (assuming the members are alive and well NOW), you won't remember whatever the headlines said, but instead your favorite lyric or perhaps the concert you had great seats for.

    I could give a hundred examples, but I think you'll probably understand what I'm saying.

    -Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Subjects like this really make me think about how disposable everything in entertainment is these days. There isn't one artist out today that I can imagine even being brought up 20 years from now let alone being remembered for something.
    -Russ

    ReplyDelete