Saturday, December 4, 2010

Kid Rock: Born Free

Ugh... What happened to the Kid Rock we knew and loved?

Kid Rock started as another rock/rapper guy but started to change with "Cocky", he put more country into his music and it really got interesting to hear this new rock/rap/country thing that nobody was doing on a grand stage and it was for a few albums, but "Born Free" shows that the trip is over and he needs to get back on track.

The problem is that he has gone too country and he doesn't do it well, the album is just boring. It has no real imagination and sounds half baked throughout. I hear this is mostly Kid Rock doing exactly what Rick Rubin told him. Way to be a rebel, lol.

Funny thing about Kid Rock albums... His first single is usually one of the worst songs on the album ("Feel Like Making Love", "So Hott", "Forever") however the rest of the albums had really strong songs which were usually released later, but "Born Free" is a good song... So why does the rest of the record suck so bad?

Bottom line is that it is a slow paced, boring country record.
Lose Rick Rubin, most acts get about one good album out of him and that's about it. Get back to what you do best.

4 comments:

  1. Been meaning to post this for a bit, been busy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you know my take on this album, which basically mirrors your words. The album has no edge to it. I can't even listen to this CD as a complete album. I can only tolerate the songs when mixed in with tracks from other CDs. Which is funny, because Kid hates the downloading business model, because he wants the album played as a whole.
    As a side note, I also like Times Like These. I was disappointed that Seger only played piano on their track.

    Did you check out Kid's Meijer exclusive yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not yet... With my job situation I don't have an extra $5. I'll get it eventually though

    ReplyDelete
  4. ... Aaaaand Now I have it

    Meh, not that different

    ReplyDelete