Saturday, November 27, 2010

Grumpy old men

Nowadays I hear music on the radio and a lot of it sounds the same. Or I watch an awards show like the recent AMA's and think "Man.... 90% of this just blows" and I always stop to wonder if maybe I'm just getting old, then the arrogant side always says no, LOL.

When I hear new bands on the radio it all seems to sound very cookie cutter, everything sounds the same, just Creed being cloned by Nickleback being cloned by Daughtry and so on and so on... Where is the new Nirvana coming from? That band that just rips through the muck to sound so different then everything else? It's been a long time since that time of act has surfaced. The band that is getting that push seems to be The Kings Of Leon, I like them, but I just don't see them having that type of effect like Nirvana had.

And watching the AMA's....Oooof.... Only 4 acts seemed to be singing and only 3 of them did it without a Broadway production. And the winners? I don't know that this generation will be hearing these acts on classic radio in 20 years. If WCSX (Local classic rock station) is playing Justin Bieber in 15 years I may just keel over on the spot. The lack of talent and originality really shown brightly on the AMA's. I found it funny that the best 2 acts in my opinion (Kid Rock and Bon Jovi) got the best response with the least hoopla.

And now the Black Eyed Peas are playing half time at the super bowl. This is the single act that epitomizes all that is wrong with music today. That looks like a disaster in the waiting.

So, am I (and the others who had these feelings) just old and out of touch or should someone be listening to us?

No comments:

Post a Comment