Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Top ten (guitarist edition)

Before I post this let me say a couple of things about it.

First off.... This list could have gone to 20 easy, it is a tough list for me as there are so many influential guitarists out there, but 10 seems like a good number.

2nd... I did not include any "solo players". Guitarists that are known more for their solo recordings, so no Satriani, Vai, etc. I think it is harder to stand out in the confines of a song then the song being built around your riff. Also if a guitarist who has great solos that don't fit into the song then you won't be on here.

So here we go.....

10. Vernon Reid- Living Colour
To me he is a very underrated guitar player for a very underrated band. He can sound like he is coming from outer space or playing on the corner and his playing fits in every song very well.

9. "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott- Pantera
Pantera's whole thing was the guitar sound, for it's time it was unique, but not off putting... Speed with melody, a hard combo to pull off. The melody in his playing made this band's aggressive style a top 10 charting band.

8. Dave Gilmore- Pink Floyd
I have never been a huge Floyd fan, I do like a lot of their songs, I'm just not a guy who can tell you all the ins and outs of their story (We got Russ for that anyways, LOL). However I do like Gilmour's playing. His blues based, fluid playing fits the songs but is still memorable on their own, which helps the songs be memorable also.

7. Stevie Ray Vaughn
Stevie truly played the blues, with a southern twist, but it was the truest blues since the 40s. Much more then Clapton or Page, Stevie played with the slow burn and fuzzy sound that was those old blues records. If you played the old blues masters along SRV from the 80s I doubt you could tell much different in the eras.

6. Tom Morello- Rage Against The Machine, Audioslave
Morelo's playing is so unique and so related to him that many love it, but no one dares copy it because people will just assume it's him. Anyone who can make his instrument sound like a different instrument while playing is doing something special. He then takes that unique sound and somehow fits it right into the song, though I do feel it fit better into Rage's aggression then Audioslaves poppy sound.

5. Jimmy Page- Led Zeppelin
Jimmy was one of the first to really be a name player in a band. Yes it was Led Zeppelin, but everyone knew Page and his sound. And his solos were so smooth within the songs that they are what is memorable.

4. Randy Rhoads- Ozzy Osbourne
Randy is the only one on the list who is technically in a backing band, however he is the main reason Ozzy is still a known name today. Without Randy Ozzy probably fades into obscurity quickly. Once again a guy who can play fast but melodic. His solo in "Crazy Train" is still echoing in sports stadiums across the world.

3. Nuno Bettencourt- Extreme, Mourning Widows
Nuno may be the most underrated guitarists I have ever heard. His playing is amazing on record and reproduced perfectly live. Much like Vernon Reid, he sounds like he came from another planet, yet the song structure is still there. Even the acoustic playing on "More Than Words" is outstanding. He has also lent his talent to lots of other artist and I can always hear him, even if he is uncredited.

2. Brian May- Queen
It had to be hard to stand out in a band with Freddie Mercury... The guy was so flamboyant and talented... How do you get noticed? Play a sound that nobody has ever heard before. Brian's playing on "Stone Cold Crazy" practically invented the heavy metal the Metallica plays, his playing actually equaled Freddie, and that ain't easy to do.

1. Eddie Van Halen- Van Halen
The most innovative player of all time in my opinion. Players have been trying to copy him for decades, but when it's Eddie.... You know it's Eddie. The guy's playing is exciting, he can make his guitar sound like a church organ, he makes you get excited when that solo is coming.... And he can out shine his very ego driven singers. He does everything these other players do, plus some and he does it live.

So there you go... My list, I'm sure there are others that could have been on there (Hendrix and others almost made it) I have my reasons why some of the typical players aren't there. Hopefully if you haven't heard all these guys you will check them out for more then the hits.

-G

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a pretty good list. I'm not sure I agree on Brian May's rank, but he should be on the list either way. I'm kind of surprised you didn't include Slash, but that's part of the difficulty of these lists.
    I also think Buckethead is an exceptional guitarist too, but I don't think he's 'influenced' anyone yet. I'm sure with time, he will have though.

    Hendrix would have been disqualified anyway, because he was a solo artist (even if there was 'the experience')

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any list that doesn't include Lindsay Buckingham in the top 10 is incomplete. I find that guy to be one of the most underrated of all time.

    Love (for obvious reasons) the inclusion of Gilmour though. I can't count how many "Best Solo" lists I've seen that Comfortably Numb tops and yet Gilmour always ranks out of the top 20 on a lot of lists.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know about Russ' love for Buckingham, but I was never a big Mac fan and his playing never grabbed me enough to notice, though I have seen live clips and they were pretty damn good.

    I had to add Gilmore because I don't think he gets the credit deserved because of the "Floyd myth" and stories, those are bigger then the band.

    I didn't add Slash because his base is basic blues with some flash, if you put Slash on then you have to add Angus Young and so on and son on. At least SRV played straight forward and strong blues

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naAWX6OsHVI

    Watch the above video. It's one of about 100 reasons why Lindsay should be in the top ten. My man is playing the lead, rhythm & bass lines all at the same time while singing a different melody!

    I think Slash gets a nod here or there because of certain things. The SCoM riff alone is one of the best of all time. But as far as influential goes, I just don't see anyone out there influenced by Slash. Which is kinda sad, but true.

    ReplyDelete