Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Name of the Band is Cowboy Mouth!

Every once in a while you experience a band that literally blows you away!  It was spring of 1999 that I went to the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival....  The fact that New Orleans has offered up such amazing musical contributions makes it a great place to visit for a music fan.  People say they want to go to Mardi Gras, etc...  let me tell you it's just a crazy during Jazzfest than any other time of the year.  The Fest itself offers such a diverse line-up, that you know that you're in for a good time. 

2 of the 3 other people I attended the fest with came to see Cowboy Mouth specifically, as did a few other of the thousands of fans who attended the fest.  After an afternoon of beers, New Orleans food (whole BBQ shrimp and gumbo among others), and grooving to other New Orleans acts the Neville Brothers and Zachary Richard, Cowboy Mouth was up!

They really brought it that day.  Fred LeBlanc the frontman and drummer steals the show. His kit is center stage and his energy goes unmatched.  I was hooked.  After I got home, I bought the CD's, listened to the music and bought tickets to see them in Chicago around St. Patricks Day 2000.  Again, they ripped up the House of Blues and brought the house down!  The best $20 I'd spent on a concert ticket!  Truely an amazing experience!

I've seen them numerous times since then.  Including a 2 night stand over my 30th Birthday...  We rode the elevator with the band, and met Fred in the lobby of the hotel.  He sang happy birthday to me!  I took my kids to see them once at a festival which I consider my kids first concert.  New Years Eve 2001 was great with Cowboy Mouth and Better Than Ezra sharing the stage!  This is the first and only time I attended the show on NYE.  I also include the Minnesota State Fair in front of about 100 fans, and the Lincoln Park Zoo gig where I almost got kicked off the train for swearing!

If you get a chance check them out...  they make their living touring and giving it all they got.  Check out their live release "All You Need Is Live" to get you started.  They transitioned some members over the years. They are my #1 pick for great band that nobody has heard of!

The name of the band is Cowboy Mouth!

Enjoy!

-Mike

1 comment:

  1. I love the concept of posting about a band that you don't think got the cred it deserved. I have one in mind and you've inspired me to write something soon about them (Another "Cowboy" band, LOL) & I'd ike to see if Russ can do the same

    ReplyDelete