Friday, October 8, 2010

Happy Birthday John Lennon

Tomorrow marks what would have been John Lennon's 70th birthday.  I wasn't even alive at the height of Beatlemania, and the Beatles were breaking up by the time 1970 rolled around.   There is so much to say about the Beatles, but that's for another time.

I was 9 years old when John died. I remember watching the news about it, and not really wrapping my head around it until some years later.  If you look at the footage now, you realize the impact he had on people's lives.  Sure people die, we ALL die, but so early (he was 40).  He was in the middle of his creative resurgence.  Gunned down in front of his home, in front of his wife, after a night of celebrating and "wrapping" what would be Double Fantasy.  He was gunned downed by a fan...  A fan?  I guess we all learned a little something about fame and the dangers of fame early.  It shook the world!

I visited NYC once in 2001.  I made it a point to my wife(fiancee' at the time)  to see 2 things on our trip:  The Dakota, and Strawberry Fields.  Strawberry Fields in an area in Central Park constructed in remembrance to John.  It really moved me knowing what I know now, and being the music fan that I am.  We walked over to the Dakota and all you could do in try and "imagine" that night.  I recommend it to anybody. 

In 1988 Imagine John Lennon came out in the theaters.  I remember being 18 and going by myself to opening night, and soaking it in.  What an amazing movie (or documentary).  It showed John as a man, a father and a husband (the same things I am today).  What a moving tribute, to the man.  I chose to go by myself because I wasn't sure how would react to it.  That, and most of my friends were in the middle of the hair bands, and didn't quite "get it".

So, this weekend please take a little time to remember the creative mastermind that changed rock music forever!  He and his 3 friends....

"Instant Karma's gonna get you...  it's gonna knock you right in head"

Listen to his solo material, some of the best lyrics ever!

"We all shine on!"


Imagine all the people living life in peace...

-MD

5 comments:

  1. I was in New York only once and the same 2 things were on my list to do. LOVED the Strawberry Fields but I gotta disagree about going to The Dakota though. I wanted to go there very badly but as soon as I stood at the doorway, I changed my mind.

    The strangest feeling came over me, unlike anything I'd ever felt before or since. It just hit me super hard and all at once what happened right where I was standing. This man who stood for peace and love, who spent his entire adult life trying to make others happy and better the world was gunned down in cold blood right in front of his wife.

    I don't want to claim I had "visions" or anything like that but I will say the emotion and feelings locked up on that door step shot directly into to me. It was so vivid, horrific, morbid and sad at all once. I was immediately short of breathe and honestly almost fell down because I was so overcome with grief.

    I can't even listen to that interview he did only minutes before that. The one where he talks about what a drag the 70s where and how optimistic he was about the future. It gets me choked up every time I happen to hear it.

    But overall I agree with every thing else you're saying (how could you not?). Believe it or not, I've never seen Imagine John Lennon all the way through. I've seen most of it, just in pieces here and there. Maybe tomorrow afternoon I'll track down a copy and take some time out to remember love.

    -Russ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been debating on whether or not to post a comment here, so hopefully this won't come off as disrespectful in any way, but honest instead...

    First off, I love the Beatles and I like Lennon's solo stuff, that being said... John was kind of an asshole...

    From what I have read John had a split personality. He could be a gentle and kind man and he could also be a complete jerk depending on his mood (Which describes a lot of people, I know)

    His jealousy of Paul's attention and leadership in a tough time for the Beatles is what killed the band. Plenty have said that while Paul tried to motivate the band to write and record a new record John was purposely dragging his feet because he considered it his band when in reality it was all four who made that band what it was since they all contributed heavily. There is other examples out there, but I'm too lazy right now to look them up, but John could really be an asshole.

    On the other hand he could be a very sweet and nice man, all about peace and love. He was a very complicated man and when someone dies we tend to gloss over the bad spots of their personality and I don't know if that is a good thing as both sides make the man.

    I do wonder what John would be doing and thinking of his legacy had he lived... Would he have kept recording and touring like Paul? Would he have gotten the band back together for an Eagles like cash in? (Could you imagine? $300 for Eagles tix... What could have the Beatles got? OMG!)Would he have been in the front of the anti Bush movement?

    He was a great man, but he was no saint

    ReplyDelete
  3. In light of Greg's comments, I feel I should qualify my remarks on The Dakota Building experience. I'm not very well researched on the subject of The Beatles or John Lennon for that matter. So my comments and what happened to me at The Dakota is very much based on John's public persona and the little I knew about him.

    -R

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please understand that I didn't mean to stomp on anyone's love for John Lennon, I thought he was great also, but my point is that no one ever talks about the other side that really makes the man. Some of his lyrics were very spiteful in his earlier solo songs.

    Your feelings were real and justified, it just always bothers me when famous dead people are deemed saints after they die, and in Lennon's case the asshole side actually allowed him to write some pretty great songs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I wasn't offended at all, I totally understand what you mean. Seems that way with most celebrities (and most regular people); they can be an good for nothing SOB whilst alive, then as soon as they die, they're sainted.

    -R

    ReplyDelete