Tuesday, October 5, 2010

King's X Live Review 10/02/10

King's X is one of those bands that I'd always heard of but never got around to seeing live. My musical knowledge of them began and ended with their hit single "Over My Head". About 2 years ago, Extreme had reunited and was touring behind their excellent new record Saudades De Rock with King's X as the support act. A few minutes into their set, it was apparent that King's X came to rock. I was so impressed with them that night, they were energetic, engaging and loving what they were doing.

I found out that they were coming back to the area, this time supporting Accept so I definitely wanted to catch them. Even before they hit the stage, it was apparent from conversing with others that King's X was the draw here. Almost each person I talked to mentioned that they had seen King's X with another band at some point and returned that night specifically to see them again. Their performance did not disappoint in any way and made more than a few new fans yet again.

These guys play with such passion and excitement for what they do that it's just plain contagious. You can't help but feel the energy and excitement yourself because they just exude it constantly. Every type of music listener in the crowd (from the casual head nodder to the stuck up musician type) was sucked in from pretty much the first song on. The interaction with the crowd grew as the show went on and it was amazing to see three guys not missing so much as one beat or note all the while being locked in with several audience members. It made what they were doing all the more impressive on several levels.

They closed their main set with "Over My Head" which included an impressive audience sing a long. With the band having completely dropped out, the audience carried the chorus. In time, in key and all in unison, as if the crowd wanted to impress the band or at the very least show their gratitude. Lead singer and bassist Doug Pinnick stepped away from his mic to drink it in and play music director to the crowd. After taking in a few bars, he started to do call backs to the crowd sans microphone which was even more impressive.

When the encore came they did something even more impressive musically. Doug and guitarist Ty Tabor stood together at the front of the stage. Not looking at their instruments, each other or drummer Jerry Gaskill, they hit every single note in a "stop & start" progressive jam, all the while still sincerely interacting with audience members both close and far from the stage.

King's X is one of those acts that makes me wonder why they aren't more popular. But then that causes me to reflect on how I could be so into music and still not have been turned on to them until 2 years ago when they've been around decades before that. So I guess I can at least do my part to spread the word from here out right? The band were gracious enough to do a meet and greet immediately following their set so I hurried over to compliment the hell out of them and snap a pic with the band. I liked what I heard and I am definitely telling somebody!

King's X, Live at the Emerald Theater 10/02/10
10 out of 10

7 comments:

  1. I have seen them 3 times, opening twice and headlining once (Cheap thrillz opened of all people, lol). They put on a great show, but I never went to buy their stuff though they were good live and I can't tell you why.... I just never did. I think this is a case of record exec not knowing how to promote the product... How come they never just use the music?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only disagreement I have with this article, is you saying Saudades De Rock was excellent. I thought it was quite the opposite. ;)

    Anyway, I agree, it is surprising that King's X never became bigger. I was never able to catch them live, but I loved their CD back when I was a teen. I had lost track of them since. Like Greg said, I never felt a drive to grab their CD. I really need to reinvest some time into their music though.

    It was definitely cool of them to take the time with the fans afterward though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1992... I was a music buyer with Best Buy. I came across a promotional copy of their self-titled album. The single Black Flag was pretty big, and that was my first exposure to them. Saw them a couple of times... opening for AC/DC and either INXS or Billy Idol.

    Great band, glad to see they're still kicking ass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @notman; I would've agree with you about the Extreme record prior to seeing them live on that tour. Until that night, the only song I could stand was Comfortably Dumb (still one of my favorite Extreme songs of all time). But for some reason, hearing those songs in a live setting really did something for me.

    I went back home and really listened to the record again and was far more impressed with it than my initial listens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would agree that Comfortably Dumb was the best track on that CD. I wasn't sure if I was enjoying it more than others though, because it reminded me of my boss. The whole CD felt too 'earth huggy' for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! Showing some love for King's X! Way to go telling somebody(s)! I've seen King's X 10 times. They never disappoint live. And they are always the most gracious dudes to meet. They hang at the merch table after almost every show to take pics and sign stuff, and they're always there 'till the last fan in line gets to say what's up.

    You're review made me even angrier that this tour w/Accept didn't come around to my city this time:(

    My recommendation to anyone reading this, Do Not Miss these guys if they are in a town near you! Hell, I'd pay money to watch those three dudes play Mary Had a Little Lamb all night.


    Anyway, nice show review. Thank you. Considered me subscribed to your blog.

    It's awesome to see King's X has infected you with the groove as well:)

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's GREAT to hear! I feel the same way about these guys and I'll be doing everything I can to make sure more people see them live.

    Thanks for the subscription too!

    -Russ

    ReplyDelete