Saturday, October 2, 2010

The "Rock N Roll" Hall of Fame...

"Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists’ contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll."

This is right off the Hall's website.

INFLUENCE and SIGNIFICANCE jump out at me.  It only solidifies my point of the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame is a bust.  I've visited the Rock Hall 2 times since it's inception.  I enjoyed it both times, and spent a ton of money in the gift shop.  Like any museum some of it was the same visit after visit, and they have their new exhibits from time to time.  I love the concept of an organization and place where rock fans can go and check it all out.  I would say music fans as a whole would enjoy it.  My problem is who's NOT in it and why the hell aren't they? 

Kiss, and Rush stand out as not in, and Bon Jovi is on the nominee list this year!?(Influence?)
Really...  Bon Jovi before Kiss??  I'm not a huge Kiss fan, but when you're 8 years old and listen to Destroyer for the first time...  Anyway...  Also, Madonna in?  She might deserve it, but certainly not before several others.  Jethro Tull and Moody Blues..  not in.  LL Cool J this nominated this year?  For what?  Besides being on the same sountrack as Poison and Aerosmith, how is this Rock N Roll again?

Madonna, Run DMC, and John Mellencamp...  All in.  Alice Cooper, and Neil Diamond not in yet (both are nominated this year).  Madonna more significant than Alice Cooper in ROCK N ROLL?!  I guess that's also a problem.  What's the definition of Rock N Roll?  Is it what's played on rock radio?  Where is it located in the bin?  I guess that's a great debate, but it might be a music hall of fame.  I get Madonna's significance in music, but not rock music.  Run DMC was never filed under rock in the record stores.  Some Neil Diamond is filed under Easy Listerning. However, if you've ever seen Neil in concert, he's a rock star!

Significance in music... Relevance.  I argue with people at times about an artist's relevance.  Jimmy Buffett has made records for almost 4 decades, sells out EVERY concert he has, and created a "lifestyle" in his music.  Yet, has won no awards, and hasn't been mentioned in a nomination.  Influence (Kenny Chesney and Zac Brown are 2 big ones).  I just don't see how this all falls together.  Will we see the Black Crowes in when it's their time? Stayed true to themselves and never made bad music (in my opinion)  Nirvana?  That's good one...  a very short career but turned music on it's ear at the time.  Dave Matthews?  Something tells me we might also run out of eligible artists all together...

Most great artists, musicians, deserve a place in music history...  But not in the Rock Hall.

I would really like the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame focus on 2 things:

Rock N Roll Music

Significance and Influence in rock music

Thank you!

-MD

4 comments:

  1. I can see the influence in Run DMC... They influenced the rap rock run of the 90s, and I think Madonna deserves to be in as much as Neil Diamond.

    However.... Kiss and Rush before all of the above and Alice Cooper before that. There are a lot of deserving acts that are still not nominated and it sucks.

    And no...Bon Jovi does not deserve and I don't think they will get the nod this year.

    It does make me wonder who will be nominated 25 years from now though

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes wonder if they hold out on certain people just so they have a couple "marquee acts" to put in each year. As you guys have already pointed out, I think they're going to run into a problem very soon where they just don't have any one of note to induct. They may be holding out on Rush, Cooper, Kiss, etc just so they extend their induction event for a few more years.

    -R

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another thing that always seems to happen is that someone is always nominated when they have something new coming out which makes me think that Jovi may actually make it...

    But they don't deserve it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking the same thing about people getting in when they have something to market, which I think BLOWS.

    As for Bon Jovi, I come and go on that subject. If you look at them on the 2 criteria Mike mentioned: influence & longevity, (to me) they count for neither.

    I can't think of one single act I would call "influenced by Bon Jovi" nor do they have a "signature sound" so to speak. Well, I guess they do have a signature sound, but it's not theirs... it's The Boss'.

    Longevity is really debatable with this band if you ask me. I personally don't consider putting out the same record over and over and over (since at least the record after Bounce) every couple of years as longevity. If you're doing something new, taking risks and being fresh (ex: U2) while people still buy your records and go to your tours then that to me is longevity.

    Having said all of that, they HAVE been around a long time. And whether or not his enormous ego completely turns me off, I do view Jon Bon Jovi as a music icon. In his prime, he was in my top 10 list of front men.

    So as I said, I go back and forth on it. Give me 10 minutes and I'll give you 10 reasons why they don't deserve it. Give me another 10 minutes and I could probably give you about 15 reasons why they do.

    -Russ

    ReplyDelete